Table of Contents
There are many coffee lovers, and everybody has their own taste. They prefer coffee according to their style such as black coffee, creamy coffee, cappuccino, latte, etc.
Kona coffee is one of the most costly and rarest coffees in the market. Kona coffee is known for its strong and rich flavor.
It grows only in few parts of the world and requires a perfect combination of sun, water and soil, and it need a mild frost-free temperature. It is cultivated between the month of late August to late January.
What is Kona Coffee?
Kona Coffee is the coffee which is cultivated in Hualalai, district in Hawaii. It is also called a Kona Coffee belt. The careful hand cultivation is included in growing the coffee.
The quality of the coffee has made Kona coffee one of the best coffee in the world. This coffee is grown in the volcanic lava rock slopes. It is a very delicious coffee with a strong aroma and spicy taste. It is a little acidic.
The most preferable climatic conditions for growing the Kona Coffee is sunny mornings, rainy afternoon and mild nights. Their main focus is to the red ripped coffee then later it is processed into coffee beans.
History of Kona Coffee
Kona coffee was founded in 1828. Samuel Reverend Ruggles planted the first Kona Coffee tree in the Kona district. In the starting point, it was not much popular but later it became the coffee empire.
In the 1950s, Kona coffee plantation was done much in the small family farms. 17 million pounds of coffee beans were produced annually. By 1960s, labour costs led to a decline in the production of Kona coffee.
Today, the plantation of Kona coffee is done around 600 farms on the slopes of Mauna Loa Volcano.
Various Blends, Grades and Flavors of Kona Coffee
Kona Extra Fancy
This one is the most famous and costly Kona coffee beans which are rich in moisture and it is worth paying little extra for the Kona Extra Fancy.
Kona Fancy Coffee
This Kona coffee gives a smooth milky cup of coffee. It is also high in moisture and less acidic.
Kona Number 1
Kona Number 1 is the third most popular Kona coffee beans and it is generally very tough to find in the market.
Kona select Coffee
Kona select coffee has 9-12% of moisture.
This Kona coffee is mostly the affordable one but not the cheap one. Generally, the pack of Kona Prime does not mention the grade.
Type II Beans
- Kona Number 1 Peaberry
- Kona Peaberry Prime
Top 7 Kona Coffee
Lets look into the specifications, features and pros&cons of each of above listed Kona Coffee.
1. Hawaiian Kona Extra Fancy Coffee
Hawaiian Kona Extra Fancy Coffee is the roasted coffee beans. Kona coffee is grown on the western coast of the island of Kona.
- This is the handcrafted coffee beans.
- It is considered the best and famous Kona coffee in the world. It is known for its full-bodied flavor and pleasing aroma.
- Hawaiian Kona coffee is 100% Kona, not a blended one.This
2. Mark Ferrari Specialty Coffees
Mark Ferrari Specialty Coffees is the famous coffee from Kona Hawaii. Since 1986 they are roasting the best Kona coffee.
- Mark Ferrari is 100% pure Kona coffee which is grown on the island of Hawaii region.
- It is very rich with a smooth taste.
- It is nutty and has Chocolate like aroma.
- Mark Ferrari coffee is the premium quality one and is medium with slightly dark roasted coffee beans.
3. Hualalai Estate
Hualalai Estate roasts only uniform size coffee beans. It claims to produce pesticides free Kona coffee beans.
- Hualalai Estate is known for its 100% pure Kona coffee.
- It is medium-dark roasted coffee beans.
- It is 100% pesticides free.
4. Kona Gold
Kona Golf coffee is the world’s best coffee. Kona Coffee Beans are grown in the shade of Macadamia Nut and Ohia trees.
- It is one of the finest and pure Kona coffee beans.
- Kona Gold Kona coffee is grown in the mineral-rich volcanic soil.
- The beans are handpicked and sun-dried.
- It is very delicious and highly aromatic.
Mulvadi coffee combines biodynamic farming and innovative technologies. It is the commercially grown coffee in the USA.
- Mulvadi is the single commercially grown coffee in the US.
- This is 100% pure Kona coffee beans.
- The specialty of this Kona coffee is it is not acidic.
6. Kona Java
Kona Java is hand-picked coffee beans. These coffee beans are grown in the volcanic soil with the afternoon rain.
- Kona Java is a 100% Kona coffee, but not blended.
- It is grown on real Hawaii volcanic soil.
- It is processed in old fashion from harvesting to roasting.
- It is medium-dark roasted beans.
7. Imagine Kona Coffee
Imagine Kona coffee are grown in a single estate. It produces intense caffeine focused with no bitterness.
- It is never blended with lower grade coffee beans.
- This is 100% pure Kona coffee.
- It tastes delicious and does not taste bitter.
- This Kona coffee has a very smooth taste.
Buyer’s guide to choosing the best Kona
- Always choose the coffee which has Labelled as 100% pure Kona coffee beans.
- Always choose Kona Coffee which is rich in moisture. It tends to give you the best strong coffee.
- Only choose the estate grew one and which is roasted and sorted on the same farm.
- Choose the product in which it is mentioned to be grown on the real volcanic soil because real Kona is grown in the volcanic soil with the climatic condition.
- Choose the natural one if possible rather than blended one. Blended once are tend to give many flavors
- Always check whether it is air roasted or sun-dried coffee beans.
Kona Coffee is considered to be the best coffee in the world. There are two types of Kona coffee beans- type I and type II. Try to get the type I Kona coffee beans because it is high in moisture and not acidic.
Also is high premium quality and blemish-free than the type II Kona coffee beans. Only choose the one which is mentioned 100% pure Kona coffee beans.